This is by far, my all time favorite gravy. The addition of sherry and sparkling cider adds such a complex flavor. The turkey is simply the vehicle for the gravy!
Turkey Gravy with Cider & Sherry
Author: Adapted from Gourmet
Recipe type: Sauce
- Turkey Drippings
- 1 Cup Sherry
- 1 Cup Sparkling Apple Cider
- 6 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- Sage sprigs for garnish
- Pour turkey drippings into a bowl and skim the fat. Reserve ¼ cup of fat for roux.
- Put roasting pan on the burner, heat and deglaze the pan with the sherry. Scrape up all the tasty brown bits.
- Stir in Cider. Bring mixture to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Heat a saucepan. Mix the reserved fat and flour in a small bowl, stirring well making sure you have no lumps. Add the roux mixture to the saucepan, whisking frequently until smooth about 3 minutes.
- Add the sherry mixture and whisk quickly to avoid lumps. Add the broth and continue to whisk. Add more broth if necessary. Taste and season if needed. Note: If you get some lumps, no worries, just put the gravy thru a fine mesh sieve, then reheat.