Chestnut Bacon Dressing
Author: Adapted from Gourmet
Recipe type: Side
- (1) 12 oz. Bag Pepperidge Farm unseasoned cubed stuffing
- 10 bacon slices
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped (include the leaves too, they add a lot of flavor!)
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- ¾ pound vacuum packed whole chestnuts, chopped course
- ½ cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325 and butter a 4 quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet, saute the bacon until crispy. Save the bacon fat to cook the veggies. Chop the bacon.
- Add the onions, celery, butter and rosemary to the bacon fat. Salt and pepper. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until the veggies become translucent.
- In a large bowl, add the stuffing, parsley, bacon, chestnuts and mix well. Once the veggies are done cooking, add them to the bowl, mix well and season with salt & pepper.
- Add the stuffing mixture to the prepared baking dish. (Can be made ahead 1 day up to this point. If making ahead, cool stuffing, cover with foil and refridgerate. Make sure to bring to room temperature before baking).
- Drizzle dressing with stock, cover with foil and bake for one hour. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes more. Rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.